Sanding and Polishing

Member's Area Hints and Tips Modelling
An area for members to pass on Hint's and Tips for other members.

Sanding and Polishing

Postby PeterRus » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:23 pm

Sanding Twigs are a trick item I get from Micro-Mark http://www.micromark.com
I use them all the time when sanding off seam lines on undercarriage legs. Whether I am preparing them for Loss Wax Brass masters or getting a better finish on oleo sections. The come in different shapes and mainly 400 - 600 grit. To change the grit of a Twig, I rub it on a piece of timber or plastic until I am happy with the smoothness. I have different coloured Twigs for different grits. One down side to this is, if you have soft fingers like mine, they can tear the skin a bit if you are in too much of a hurry. There are plenty of other uses, where sanding in tight places requires a thin flexible sanding Twig.
Sanding Twigs.jpg
Sanding Twigs.jpg (45.34 KiB) Viewed 1444 times

Sanding Pads and Sticks.
Sanding Pads & Sticks.jpg
Sanding Pads & Sticks.jpg (28.83 KiB) Viewed 1444 times

The Sanding Pads on the left of photo are from Micro-Mark. The grit range is from 2,400 - 20,000. They are good for sanding/polishing out scratches in plastic, especially if you have forgotten to clean out the plastic dust out of your file or sanding stick.
The Sanding Stick in the middle is one I made from a paddle-pop stick. With a sharp knife I cut the stick in half lengthwise, then glued some 600 grit to the stick, and trimmed to fit. The shape at the top end comes in handy in tight places. When I make another one, I will cut the other end the same, so I have two ends with different grits, as in time they will wear down a bit. This stick is my favourite when it wears down, as it smooths out the surface very well. Important. You have to clean your sanding stick regularly on a piece of cloth (not your pants otherwise the missus/mother will give you hell). And more often if you are sanding putty like Green Stuff. It will clog your sanding stick up, and it will be harder to get out. I use a copper wire brush used for cleaning swade shoes/boots, gently, as it will also take out the sanding grit from the sandpaper.
The Sanding Stick/Finger Nail Polisher on the right.
Polish Pad.jpg
Polish Pad.jpg (23.64 KiB) Viewed 1444 times

This item can be bought from any supermarket. The Pink end is BUFF. The Grey end is SMOOTH, and the other side is Light Grey and is SHINE.
I strip the Shine pad off as shown in this photo.
Polish Pad.jpg
Polish Pad.jpg (23.64 KiB) Viewed 1444 times

I cut the pad with a sharp knife, I trim this to fit my sanding stick and with a bit of luck, the pad will have enough sticky to hold on. I have used this stick with the Shine side on the oleo section of the undercarriage leg, so as to get a better surface to Alcad. I also use it on all parts that I send for Loss Wax Brass.
In conclusion I hope you can find something of use in your modelling.

Peter Russell
Last edited by PeterRus on Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeterRus
Beginner

Re: Sanding and Polishing

Postby GH05T8 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:13 pm

Hi Peter,
Thanks for rundown on your sanding gear.
I'm already onboard with the buffing nail-filer, works a treat. ;)

You have intrigued me with the sanding twigs though, might have to look into them.......

Cheers,
Justin
On The Bench
1. MV Krait Scratchbuild
Next-up
MH-6M
GH05T8
Beginner