Your way of filling joints

Member's Area Hints and Tips Modelling
An area for members to pass on Hint's and Tips for other members.

Your way of filling joints

Postby B.T.M. » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:54 pm

Today ihad to fill a small seam using tamiya filler and made a complete hash of it.I would like to know your ideas on both fillers and what you use to apply them.
B.T.M.
Beginner

Re: Your way of filling joints

Postby harvs73 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:20 pm

It all depends on the size of the gap. If they are very fine I might use Mr Surfacer 500/100. If it is a bit bigger I use Tamiya or Humbrol filler. But if it is a very big gap I fill it with plastic card or sprue. Once it is dry I sand it back a bit then use one of the other fillers to smooth it out. I use the card/sprue as too much filler is not very structurally sound, ie no strength, and the card strengthens the joint. If you just use filler on a large joint it will crack after a short period as well as it can melt plastic if too much is used in one spot.
David Harvey
Editor
Aussie Modeller International

Email: aussiemodeller@hotmail.com

http://www.aussiemodeller.com.au
harvs73
Devotee

Postby Creative Models Australia » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:27 pm

Hi Bob,

Agree with Dave, appart from, with small gaps, I try to eliminate this first, by angling the joint with a few scraps of a knife, which will help force soften plastic out, and hence cause a ridge that can be sanded with little or no putty.

When that little bit of putty is needed, I use Tamya acrylic paint, by allowing it to coagulate first, and then going over the seam
Creative Models Australia
Devotee

Postby Calum » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:27 pm

I pretty much use super glue on all seams.

It is the only thing I've found that doesn't result in seams reappearing later on. I use accelerator to set it and then sand. You can scribe over it in a few minutes, so it gets used whenever I may need to re-scribe

I do use Mr surfacer / Tamiya putty and Magi Sculpt for various other filling task but Super glue (or CA) is the best for seam elimination.
Calum
Devotee

Postby Dave Brewer » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:07 am

Dave Brewer
Devotee

Postby PeterRus » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:07 am

In using super glue. This is ok if you don't get a lot of humidity in your area. The further north you go the more chance the super glue will crack, even using the good expensive stuff.
I got put on to the really good filler. It is not cheap. It is two-part car filler. Comes with a small bag of catalyst (use sparingly). The beauty of this filler is there is no shrinkage. Another plus is you won't have to buy anymore filler again. There is a small amount of heat, but it will not melt plastic.

HTH

Peter R.
PeterRus
Beginner

Postby skypilot » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:56 am

I use Super glue mixed with Talcum Powder (baby Powder) not Corn starch Powder. It remains sandable for a lot longer, fills panels lines and small gaps beautifully and scribes better than any other filler apart from %100 superglue. I use it almost exclusive, occasionally I use Mr surfacer but not so much anymore.
PS I never use accelerator up here I find it bubbles up the superglue and can leave small air bubbles and burns like crazy if you have some superglue on your fingers when you apply it. If I want the superglue to set quickly I use plain old water.

regards

Peter
skypilot
Devotee

Postby asho77 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:06 am

Tamiya putty and Tamiya masking tape !! Helps to replace some of those lines sanded off on the really old kit's I stll have from the 1980's with...god forgive me.....RAISED PANEL LINES :o

Tamiya is more powder based and sands easier and finer. Some of the other Korean stuff/chinese stuff is more plastics based and I've found with too much, bcms very messy and even has melted some kits, leavng a nice big sink hole effect !
asho77
Devotee

Postby Creative Models Australia » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:17 am

Pete, Doesn't matter where you but accelorator always bubbes cyno. Thats why I neve use cyno for gaps. I have used it before, with and with out accelorator, and have always had to putty over it. Cyno is also very brittle, and hard to sand.
Creative Models Australia
Devotee

Postby skypilot » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:52 am

There you go I thought accelerator was just a problem up here. I hate the stuff.
If you mix superglue with talcum powder it is easy to sand, I don't find being brittle a problem for gap filling but I would never use it by itself for structural joins. I do mix it with polystyrene glue for a quick set up and plus the benefits of the welding properties of the poly glue.

I have learnt the hard way never drop a model glued with superglue. Easy to disassemble though. LOL.

Regards

Peter
skypilot
Devotee

Next