starting from scratch - advice apreciated

Member's Area Hints and Tips
An area for members to share hints and tips on modelling related subjects.

Re: starting from scratch - advice apreciated

Postby Homerlovesbeer » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:33 pm

The underneath is now sprayed and I'm quite pleased with the result. :D The pre shading can only just be seen through the colour after lots of very fine misting coats.

I "borrowed" the correct paint from bill's build over in http://www.britmodeller.com although I ended up using a slightly different ratio of 5:4 of Mr Hobby (Gunze) H24 Orange-Yellow and H34 My Hobby (Gunze) Cream Yellow, probably as I think my paint ended up a tad on the dull cream side at 50/50 ratio originally so I added a little more of the Orange-Yellow.

I took the Zero outdoors under natural light so the pre shading is more visible

Gear doors done

Lol on the thread....I suppose I'll keep posting now however this forum isn't very active is it! :?
Homerlovesbeer
Beginner

Postby RAAFBrat » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:44 pm

I think it depends on the time of day & phase of moon :D. Also maybe the subject, Axis jiggers don't seem to get as much "attention" as Aussie/Allied stuff. Understandable, I s'pose ;).

The Zero's looking very good, btw. I've not tried pre-shading myself yet.
RAAFBrat
Devotee

Postby Homerlovesbeer » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:41 pm

Hi again guys,

I've finished painted a base silver on the gear doors and fuselage ready for painting the "aotake."

The prop is done....black on the back and silver on the front......I'm please with the results.

Bombs away

I'll be spraying the "aotake" this arvo hopefully.
Homerlovesbeer
Beginner

Postby RAAFBrat » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:45 pm

Looking good. I have a 1/48 Rufe in the stash to do. Forgive my ignorance, but what's an Aotake?

I usually work the other way in painting wheel wells etc. I paint them first & mask them off, rather than the whole plane, but each to their own ;).
RAAFBrat
Devotee

Postby Homerlovesbeer » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:58 pm

RAAFBrat wrote: Forgive my ignorance, but what's an Aotake?

http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2010/02/ ... t-one.html

OK Tamiya tape has ruined my paintwork! :twisted: I am staggered beyond belief! The paint was allowed to dry at least 2-3 days before applying the tape. The tape was on for about 48 hours.

What have I done wrong? How can I fix this? :o

Homerlovesbeer
Beginner

Postby RAAFBrat » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:57 am

Ouch! Ok, I've never used Tamiya tape, just ordinary sticky tape de-tacked first. From there I'd say you can: rub back & start again; do a light rub & try a light re-coat; disguise it with dirt, oil stains etc, give it a hit of matt & see what happens. But there are far more knowledgable heads here than me. :)
RAAFBrat
Devotee

Postby Homerlovesbeer » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:16 am

The paint did not lift at all. I primed using AKprimer. It's more like the paint has tape residue on it, or even more like the tape has chemically damaged and imprinted the tape pattern into the paint.

Homerlovesbeer
Beginner

Postby Homerlovesbeer » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:00 pm

Well I decided to leave the bottom for now and have a crack at the top coat.

I masked off the bottom and used Blue-Tak to create the mask effect on the side. I sprayed the paint in very fine misting coats but I think I may have done them too fine and just kept building them up so the paint never really got the "wet" effect that drys the a mirror gloss (it's gloss paint). I tested prior on the old tester model and the paints looks much better as I just plastered it on which cause the whole thing to go wet however once dried looks much better.

The Zero looks pretty decent in the flesh and the paint is still wet in these pics so hopefully with a coat of matt after decals it should look ok.

The Blue-Tak masks

I completely lost the pre shading this time as I was getting too focused on the fact it was "gloss paint" and mine was looking more semi-gloss. I kept painting to try and get it looking "gloss" but didn't want to go too heavy and completely ruin it!

The trial old banger model on the left and how the Zero turned out.........

Oh well this kit was always going to be the learning curve after not building or painting anything in such a long time, as well as this is the first time ever using an airbrush!
Homerlovesbeer
Beginner

Postby RAAFBrat » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:33 pm

Keep on plugging :) . Airbrush is an incremental thing. I started with deliberately simple schemes (RAAF Grey, All-Over Silver etc) & built up from there to 3 & 4-colour camo schemes etc. Still learning with every model. I'm not convinced on pre-shading except under light colours but again, I've not tried it yet. Same, same with panel-line accents. It looks good but how true-to-life is it? I've seen photos of real aircraft where they really show obviously, until you realise that the pic has been taken from only 10 or so feet away. You need to see the same subject from 50+ feet away (at least) to get the scale effect of distance. Likewise all this guff about "scaling" paint colours - just can't be bothered. By the time you painted an aircraft 3 blues at the factory, it was flown to a transit camp, then thousands of miles into the Pacific to a dusty coral/dirt strip, then used intensively on ops, exact colour becomes completely academic as far as I'm concerned. :)
RAAFBrat
Devotee

Postby DesTROYer » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:42 am

Homerlovesbeer wrote:The paint did not lift at all. I primed using AKprimer. It's more like the paint has tape residue on it, or even more like the tape has chemically damaged and imprinted the tape pattern into the paint.

I've had the same problem with the Tamiya tape on my Tomcat I'm doing at the moment. Haven't had the problem before when using Lifecolour so I'm putting it down to the Mr. Hobby paint I'm using on this build.
DesTROYer
Devotee

PreviousNext