starting from scratch - advice apreciated

Member's Area Hints and Tips
An area for members to share hints and tips on modelling related subjects.

Re: starting from scratch - advice apreciated

Postby Homerlovesbeer » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:09 pm

Undercarriage installed and a coat of Pledge has been applied. Can someone please advise on the order of the final weathering? Do I go the chipping effect with a silver paint then apply a wash or the other way around?

Sorry about the poor night lighting pics

Thanks!

Homerlovesbeer
Beginner

Postby Homerlovesbeer » Tue May 05, 2015 10:46 am

News update...I think I've managed to completely bork my model up at the final matt coating stage. :weep:

If I was after the effect of recently flying through a dust storm I achieved it perfectly............oh and I buggered up the weathering on the side fuselage :(

Before

After

Homerlovesbeer
Beginner

Postby Homerlovesbeer » Tue May 05, 2015 7:44 pm

Well I managed to tame the dust effect down by going over the whole model with a barely damp cloth and buffing the heck out of it. It looks a LOT better now however still not as I expected it to turn out.

The canopy masks have been removed and I'm satisfied with my Mr Masking Sol R liquid mask attempt. Not the best but with no masks available I think I did ok.

On a downer note I did managed to break the starboard landing gear clean off as well the the fuel tank during all the handling required to buff the dust effect out. After a bit of frustration and much moaning I fixed them both up ok.

I used a piece of spru stretched to shape over a candle for the antenna. It took a bit of stuffing around to fix it to the Zero but it'll do as it is now. I'm not sure if I need (can be bothered more like it) to paint it or not and the pitot tube needs some green on it (again I'm not sure I can be bothered).

I'm now officially calling my first build in about 24 years finished. I will post proper pics in the finished thread when I can.

Many thanks to all of you for your wonderful support and advice during the process. You kept the wind in my sails :)

Cheers!

Homerlovesbeer
Beginner

Postby DesTROYer » Tue May 05, 2015 8:01 pm

Very nice mate. Near completion handling issues are al part an parcel of finishing one I think. Just today I broke a pitot tube and a landing gear bay door off my Tomcat. Easy fixes but annoying as.
DesTROYer
Devotee

Previous