Jet junkies... Your techniques on painting exhaust nozzles?

Member's Area Hints and Tips
An area for members to share hints and tips on modelling related subjects.

Jet junkies... Your techniques on painting exhaust nozzles?

Postby DesTROYer » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:59 pm

Over the last year and a bit, I've tried a few techniques for painting exhaust nozzles on my jets, but honestly, I've never been 100% happy with the result. They either look showroom new or just wrong and messy. What techniques do you jet junkies use to get those realistic jet exhausts?
ImageImage
DesTROYer
Devotee

Re: Jet junkies... Your techniques on painting exhaust nozzl

Postby DesTROYer » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:53 pm

Anyone?
This is where Im at, at the moment, but need some ideas on making it look used and not so new and pristine.
DesTROYer
Devotee

Postby billb » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:09 pm

OK, I'm in no way an expert but seeing as noone else has replied you might get some ideas out of this.
Firstly brush painted with citadel acylics - a couple of slightly different mix ratios of black and whatever their darker silver is to get a silvery gun metal colour with a bit of variation in the different bits of the exhaust (I think I tried a couple of drops of blue but it didn;t show and I wouldn;t bother again). I wanted it a bit lighter than the final colour so I could darken it with washes.
Then darker/ lighter filters over various individual parts/ panels/ petals to break it up a bit. I used heavily thinned brown, black and blue enamels
Then a number of different washes with Flory's promodeller wash. Particularly Dark dirt and black on the outside and light dirt on the inside.
For me I find that the promodeller wash gives metal that burnt, abused, dull look (there's various heaviness of flory's wash on all the metallic panels in the below picture but the fuselage panels are originally airbrushed are not brush painted).
Then some highlights with some of Tamiya's metallic weathering powders.

Anyway, I was happy with the result. Hope it helps a little.

billb
Devotee

Postby DesTROYer » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:17 pm

Thanks Bill, all advice is appreciated and thats a pearl. Nice work too mate.
DesTROYer
Devotee

Postby AndrewPerren » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:56 pm

Hi Troy, if I could offer a suggestion. Your nozzles above look tidy enough but I only see two different shades on them. If you compare that to your ref pic of the real thing I count at least 6 different colours. Burner cans are such a focal point of jet models they are worth the time to do some tedious masking and painting. Try mixing the shades you already have to create new ones and go nuts. Just simply having more colours will add life. Then try some washes. Also the Tamiya weathering sets offer many shades to rub into areas to create heat effects and grime.
Regards

Andrew P (A1)
AndrewPerren
Devotee

Postby DesTROYer » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:02 pm

Thanks Andrew. Thats the kind of advice Im after.
DesTROYer
Devotee

Postby DesTROYer » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:44 pm

Bill and Andrew, I took on what both of what you had to say and had a go at repainting the exhausts this morning and come up with the following which Im most happy with. Thanks for the advice.
DesTROYer
Devotee

Postby billb » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:32 pm

Nice & dirty :)
billb
Devotee

Postby hrtpaul » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:49 pm

Troy mate they look really good now. Well done mate :)
Brother: Do you really need that many Phantoms?
Me: Don't make me kick you outta the shed for asking dumb questions
Brother: But are you gonna build all these models?
Me: Yeah of course I am. Now get outta my shed

#1 F-4 Phantom Phanatic
hrtpaul
Devotee

Postby Kitmodellernz » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:17 pm

Hi guys, here's the technique I used on my Phantom;

Horizontal Stabilisers

Prime with Alclad grey primer, polish with Micro Mesh to remove any rough spots/imperfections. I didn’t bother with a gloss black base as I am not trying to achieve a high gloss finish. Airbrush insignia white onto non-metal areas, mask off areas to be metal with Tamiya tape.

For basecoat, finely mist on coats of Alclad Duraluminium until adequate coverage achieved.

Mask areas to remain Duraluminium with Tamiya tape and spray Mr.Metal Colour Steel. Remove masks and overspray with light coat of Alclad Duraluminium to tone it all down a little. Polish areas in centre of darker panels with a cotton bud to simulate discolouration.

Overspray thinned Tamiya Smoke acrylic in random patterns on the metal areas (top and undersides of horizontal stabilisers) to achieve discolouration.

On undersides where there will be a little heat discolouration, mist on highly diluted Tamiya Acrylic Flat Earth (20% paint : 80% Tamiya Lacquer thinner) in random patterns as was done with the Tamiya Smoke.

Brush on a couple of coats of Future floor polish and allow to dry.

Apply AK Interactive Dark Brown wash to rivet and panel lines. Allow to dry and remove any excess with cotton bud.

Hot Section

Prime with Alclad grey primer, polish with Micro Mesh. No gloss black base used on this part either.

Airbrush base of Alclad Duraluminium.

Mask areas to remain clean metal (vertical sides).

Airbrush highly diluted Tamiya Enamel Dark Iron randomly over part and a little heavier into the centre of panels until desired result is achieved. Overspray with Duraluminium and polish vertical heat stripes into paint with pointed cotton bud. Mask off the dirty areas towards front of hot section with blue tac and airbrush on Duraluminium in light coats so as not to lose the stripe effects towards the back of the hot section to achieve the lesser heat affected areas.

Spray heavily thinned Tamiya Acrylic Flat Earth (20% paint : 80% Tamiya Lacquer thinner) over the ‘burnt’ areas.

Remove all masking and on chosen vertical panels that were previously masked, spray thinned Tamiya Smoke to achieve the darker panels.

Brush on a couple of coats of Future floor polish and allow to dry.

Apply pin washes of grey oil paint to fasteners on burnt areas and AK Interactive Dark Brown wash onto the clean areas. Remove excess with cotton buds,

DSC_0621 LR.jpg
DSC_0621 LR.jpg (174.18 KiB) Viewed 11350 times
Kitmodellernz
Beginner

Next