Tarzans Grip

Member's Area Hints and Tips
An area for members to share hints and tips on modelling related subjects.

Tarzans Grip

Postby Doc59 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:08 am

Does anyone know if Tarzans grip melts the plastic on model aircraft? Recently built a Mirage and used Tarzans grip to glue lead weight in it, as I was joining the fuselage I noticed a couple of inward dents on it that I had to bog. Not sure if they were there before or if the glue could have caused them.
Doc59
Beginner

Re: Tarzans Grip

Postby qfa_tsv » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:11 pm

Blimey, didn't know it was still available, I have no idea on it, but do know older style plasticine will melt plastic as the oil leeches out
Maybe put some on some unused plastic from that kit and see what happens where you can observe it, won't help, but might give you an idea of what to do in the future.
Graeme
qfa_tsv
Devotee

Postby RayS » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:58 am

Having tried to build a model in my younger days with Tarzan's Grip I can say no it doesn't (unless the formula has changed over the years). That particular model did not stay together very long during it usual dogfights :D
Ray
Bench stuff:
...lots
RayS
Devotee

Postby BWP » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:44 am

My memories from my youth tell me that Tarzan's Grip never successfully glued anything to anything. Have never touched it since.
Bruce Probst
"I want to decide who lives and who dies."
Melbourne, Australia
BWP
Beginner

Postby Doc59 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:10 pm

Thanks all, yeah its still around, I didn't use a 20 yr old tube :-), got it from Bunings for something else and thought I'd try it to hold lead sinkers in place. It actually worked quite well for that until I noticed the dents. Followed qfa_tsv's idea on thin parts of the sprue (brand name etc) and when I pulled the dry glue from the sprue it had eaten into it but not enough to cause any distortion on the other side. Maybe the rounded shape of the fuselage made a difference though so probably won't try it again.

What do you blokes usually use for glueing weight into a model?
Doc59
Beginner

Postby wally » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:36 pm

Doc59 wrote:Thanks all, yeah its still around, I didn't use a 20 yr old tube :-), got it from Bunings for something else and thought I'd try it to hold lead sinkers in place. It actually worked quite well for that until I noticed the dents. Followed qfa_tsv's idea on thin parts of the sprue (brand name etc) and when I pulled the dry glue from the sprue it had eaten into it but not enough to cause any distortion on the other side. Maybe the rounded shape of the fuselage made a difference though so probably won't try it again.

What do you blokes usually use for glueing weight into a model?

30 min epoxy
wally
Devotee

Postby Rabbit Leader » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:18 pm

Loctite 401 works a treat - glues anything to everything.
Rabbit Leader
Devotee

Postby qfa_tsv » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:11 pm

or you can go the really low cost option, and use White Glue, I got some from Cray Clarks for something like $1
or recently I had to get some Sellys Aquahere for a real wood job, and that is being used before it goes off
Graeme
qfa_tsv
Devotee

Postby Doc59 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:48 pm

So basically, 30 min epoxy = araldite and Loctite 401 = Superglue. No worries, I'll try araldite next time. I used Superglue (Selleys or something) in the Vampire I'm currently building but wasn't confident of the sinker to aircraft contact area so added some old white glue around them to improve the sticking area. Next day the white glue (cheap brand) was still mostly liquid, that turned me off using it more.
Doc59
Beginner

Postby RayS » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:24 am

If you use a lot of white glue it can take days to set. I did it with one of my models and I think it was about a week before it had totaly set.
Ray
Bench stuff:
...lots
RayS
Devotee