Cheap acrylic retarder

Member's Area Hints and Tips
An area for members to share hints and tips on modelling related subjects.

Cheap acrylic retarder

Postby slinkymalinky » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:54 am

Living in Queensland I often find I have to deal with heat when I paint which can make acrylics harder for me to deal with. I've found using an acylic paint retarder very helpful to slow drying time.

I've recently started using Vallejo paints more often which dry much more quickly again than my Tamiya and Mr Hobby acrylics. After a bit of experimenting I've found that Jo Sonja retarder seems perfectly compatible and works really well.

Rather that nearly $10 for a little Vallejo bottle, the Jo Sonja is around $20 for 250mL. And its available as a gel (which I use for brush painting since it helps maintain the body of the paint) and liquid (which I use for airbrushing). I bought mine from an art supply store.

Cheers, T
slinkymalinky
Devotee

Re: Cheap acrylic retarder

Postby DesTROYer » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:12 am

I'll look out for it. I love spraying Tamiya, but brush painting it comes out crap sometimes. This could solve that.
DesTROYer
Devotee

Postby slinkymalinky » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:16 am

I've always struggled brush painting with Tamiya and Gunze/Mr Hobby acrylics too. They don't cover at all well. The only way I've found to make it work is to use thinned paint and build up the colour in 3 or 4 layers (laborious and frustrating). It's all too easy to end up with brush marks with them still.

I have a big stash of Testors Model Master enamels that have been my go-to paints for brush work because they cover and flow so much more easily and cleanly. They stink up the place and mean I have to keep a bunch of extra thinners and cleaners on my bench but they're very good. But I've been looking for an acrylic alternative.

Vallejo paints cover extremely well when brush painting. The dropper bottles are a bugger but with the addition of a stainless slingshot ball as an agitator, they now mix well. I love the water wash-up. They dry fast and don't blend easily... until the addition of retarder and another Jo Sonja product I use... flow medium. The flow medium helps blending without seeming to effect the pigment density as much as water. As I'm finishing bottles of Model Master I'm replacing them with Vallejo acrylics for brush painting.
slinkymalinky
Devotee

Postby digger303 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:08 pm

slinkymalinky wrote:Living in Queensland I often find I have to deal with heat when I paint which can make acrylics harder for me to deal with. I've found using an acylic paint retarder very helpful to slow drying time.

I've recently started using Vallejo paints more often which dry much more quickly again than my Tamiya and Mr Hobby acrylics. After a bit of experimenting I've found that Jo Sonja retarder seems perfectly compatible and works really well.

Rather that nearly $10 for a little Vallejo bottle, the Jo Sonja is around $20 for 250mL. And its available as a gel (which I use for brush painting since it helps maintain the body of the paint) and liquid (which I use for airbrushing). I bought mine from an art supply store.

Cheers, T

Jo Sonja is available from bunnings in the craft paint section
digger303
Devotee