Snapping stretched sprue into place?

Member's Area Hints and Tips
An area for members to share hints and tips on modelling related subjects.

Snapping stretched sprue into place?

Postby thevespabandit » Mon May 29, 2017 10:48 pm

Hey all.

I'm in the process of rigging a BF-109E and am debating whether to use the stretched sprue or ez-line method. One thing that got my attention was stretching sprue and then heating it again when in situ to 'snap' it taut into place whilst avoiding plastic sag. I got a little confused by that concept and was wondering how I would then snap it taut.

Wondering if anyone has had any experience with this method and can offer a touch more advise?

Thanks all and happy building.
thevespabandit
Devotee

Re: Snapping stretched sprue into place?

Postby Woody » Mon May 29, 2017 11:48 pm

Hi mate,

The stretched sprue method is taking it back :lol:

I remember rigging a Airfix Hawker Fury biplane this way. I used a match. Light the match then blow it out, then pass the match close to the sprue without touching it. The residual heat in the match is enough to snap the sprue taught with melting it. You don't need much heat.

EZ line, or similar is probably more forgiving to attach, more prone to surviving the odd bump or two, and probably will last longer. I know the rigging on my Fury didn't last forever....
Justin...
Woody
Devotee

Re: Snapping stretched sprue into place?

Postby thevespabandit » Tue May 30, 2017 12:37 am

Hey mate! Haha well if it ain't broke right?

By the sounds of things, why complicate more than it has to be right? I might dip the easy line in white and go from there.

Stretched sprue- what was I thinking!?
thevespabandit
Devotee