Is there a Silhouette cutter modelling resource group?

Member's Area Hints and Tips
An area for members to share hints and tips on modelling related subjects.

Is there a Silhouette cutter modelling resource group?

Postby DesTROYer » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:22 am

I know there are a few of you modellers now who have a Silhouette portrait cutter. Is there are a Facebook group or forum where modellers share techniques, patterns and the like? My Silhouette Curio arrived yesterday and I'm keen to try it out this weekend.
David could we get a page set up here if there is enough interest?
DesTROYer
Devotee

Re: Is there a Silhouette cutter modelling resource group?

Postby DesTROYer » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:17 pm

I unboxed my Silhouette Curio cutter today, and after having a bit of a play withe the software, I then made up a stencil for some RAAF roundels. They can be recalled to what ever size I may need, but for the test cut, I wasn't to fussed. Besides me messing up and not loading the tray in correctly on the first go, they came out great.

This evening however, I have become more adventuress, and began making up a cutting template for a project I've wanted to do for a while for my Beaufighter. Some Marsden matting for a display base.

First up I found a photo of one of the photo etch sets and using it for measurements and spacing, I began to put together one length.

Then I set about duplicating the template.

Then, I resized it to 1/48 scale and duplicated it again and again until I had filled up the whole cutting area.

Stay tuned, next up I'll load a sheet of styrene into the cutter and see how it goes, but thats for tomorrow I think... maybe...
DesTROYer
Devotee

Re: Is there a Silhouette cutter modelling resource group?

Postby DesTROYer » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:51 pm

Curiosity got the better of me so I did a test run. Well it's not a complete failure, but it could be better. I used the thinnest styrene card I have 0.25mm and I set the blade depth at 5. It scored it ok, but did not cut all the way through, so the circles won't be easy to pop out. Still it has possibilities. More experimentation required. Any tips would be appreciated.
DesTROYer
Devotee