Kev C's F-102 Delta Dagger

Member's Area Group Builds Monogram Group Build
The Monogram Group Build for all models manufactured by Monogram.

Kev C's F-102 Delta Dagger

Postby AndrewDoppel » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:47 pm

OK build, far from my best but I don't really care. The aim was to take me back to my teens with an ill-fitting, raised panel line, warped beyond belief Monogram beast. The aim was achieved.

Built largely out of the box, with Eagle Strike decals and an Avionix ejection seat. Some of the kit decals were used (yep, they went on superbly, but they were a little faded), including the USAF titles above and below the wings and the stars and bars. Paints were the ever reliable Gunze H61 (described as IJN Grey on the tin, but matched via a Humbrol colour chart I have), with some ALCLAD for the exhaust and the intake areas.

The worst part of the kit was the wing fit. It was heavily warped and required some prolonged holding in place to ensure it stayed put. The other negative was the raised line downfall, the fact that I didn't want to go hard on fixing all seam lines due to me not wanting to lose detail. Some seams are visible, but once again I don't really care, as I think I grabbed the overall look of the a/c nicely. The undercarriage is complex and multi facetted also, so if you do one watch the fit, it can be a little time consuming.

One omission was the IR detector atop the nose, the aircraft was listed as being in service as this retrofit was being done on the fleet so I doubt she ever had it fitted. The squadron also gave up their aircraft only one year after this retrofit so I reckon I am right in my assumption.

Photography taken with my D60 on a new tripod (thanks brother in law Pete) in the backyard on my place in Sydney's North. HOpe these are shopwing some improvement.

Model built by Kev C
Regards
Andrew Doppel

AMI Moderator
AndrewDoppel
Devotee