3d Prnters

Member's Area Member's Forum
Discussion of all things modelling.

3d Prnters

Postby skypilot » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:17 am

HI all.

I have been just thinking about purchasing a 3d printer for some custom made model bits and pieces. There are a lot of printers out there and I was just wondering if anybody had any tips or recommendations.

What I intend to do is make prototypes fill and sand to suit and the cast or vacuum form around them.

A few years back I had some B-25D waste blisters printed and I found that when I tried to fill and sand the ridges down, the ridges underneath didn’t exactly line up with the ones above so I never seemed to be able to get decent smooth surface. Maybe it was the printing process used.

I realise I can spend 15K and get a really good printer but I was thinking something for a hobbyist.

I confident enough that is good ones are available in kit form I could put one together.

All advice appreciated.
skypilot
Devotee

Re: 3d Prnters

Postby sjbatche » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:42 pm

I purchased a 3D printer about a year ago to make bits and pieces for my models. I got a cheap printer kit from Ebay that I had to put together myself, a GEEETECH i3 Pro. I wanted something to experiment with without paying a lot of money. I have had a heap of fun making simple parts and have even explored making whole models. There are a whole heap of these type of printers to choose from but from what I have seen most will give similar results. These 3D printers will not give the same definition as the SLA type printers but if you are willing to put in some effort filling and sanding you can make some simple parts. I spent just over $200 on my printer at the time and I have some friends who have spent ten times that on their printer and there is no difference in the quality of what is printed. Some people say don’t get a 3D printer with an acrylic frame, I can say that I have had no problem with my frame at all.

One thing to remember regardless of the printer that you get is that if you want bespoke parts then you have to be able to draw the parts in a 3D modelling program. This is a far bigger challenge for most people than getting results from their printer.

Steve B.

IMG_88641.jpg
My GEEETECH I3 Pro
IMG_88641.jpg (121.99 KiB) Viewed 888 times

IMG_99313.jpg
My 3D printed model ships
IMG_99313.jpg (137.03 KiB) Viewed 888 times
sjbatche
Beginner

Postby GTX » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:17 am

Liking those ships - what scale are they?
GTX
Devotee

Postby skypilot » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:13 am

Thanks Steve for that.
That pretty much sounds about what I need.
Sanding and filling won’t be a problem.
3d drawing isn’t going to be a problem. I have been drawing in 3d for over 20 years. Mind you I still would not consider myself an expert in 3D drawing but certainly know enough to do what I want to do.

What type of layer resolution do you get with your printer. I see some get down to 0.05 mm. that sound very fine.
regards Peter J
skypilot
Devotee

Postby sjbatche » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:40 am

Skypilot - These Fused Deposition Modelling (FDM) type 3D printers where thin layers of molten plastic are extruded are generally not high resolution machines and certainly nothing like 0.05 mm per layer. I think that my 3D printer works between 0.1 mm and 0.4 mm per layer. There is a bit of a compromise to be made as thinner layers means much more time to build a model. Most of my models are constructed at 0.2 mm per layer.

GTX - I will put up some details of theses 3D printed ships in a different post later today.
sjbatche
Beginner

Postby skypilot » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:12 pm

Thanks for the help
regards

Peter J
skypilot
Devotee

Postby bigboris » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:36 pm

where can I get scanning and printing done in Melbourne?
cheers
No matter where you go..... there you are.
bigboris
Devotee