Aussie Blackhawks query

Member's Area Member's Forum
Discussion of all things modelling.

Aussie Blackhawks query

Postby Russell Brown » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:02 pm

I'd like to build an Australian Blackhawk in 1/35 or 1/32, but I confess to my ignorance of possible detail differences between variants.
Can any clued up gentlemen recommend which is the best kit to buy?

Thanks in anticipation, Russell Brown
Russell Brown

Re: Aussie Blackhawks query

Postby harvs73 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:42 pm

There is the Academy 1/35 kit which is a good basis for the Australian version. Depending on which version you find you will need ot look at the exhausts and the tail. The tail is the rectangular one and the exhausts have the IR components on them. There are other various differences but they are the main visual ones to me.
David Harvey
Editor
Aussie Modeller International

Email: aussiemodeller@hotmail.com

http://www.aussiemodeller.com.au
harvs73
Devotee

Postby GeneralJG » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:12 am

Gday Russell,

Yep the 1/35 Academy is it & I believe the AH-60L DAP is the version to get since it has the parts from all three Academy Blackhawk versions including the rectangular tail. Well, it’s what I’ve got in the stash anyway!
John G.
GeneralJG
Devotee

Postby Cairnsy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:37 pm

G’Day Russell,

The Academy Blackhawk is a good basis. The AFV club boxing has the incorrect non HIRRS exhaust, The UH-60L boxing doesn’t include the rectangle Stab only the Trapezoidal version.

The MH-60G has the right Stab and the right exhausts but doesn’t have any passenger seats only the 2 loadmasters/gunner seats, The AH-60L kit has the parts from the other two boxings but the only issue with making an Aussie help is the windows for the pilots doors, the kit features the window without the opening sliding portion and has a small circular vision port. If you want to build a flat floor Aussie bird (pretty common config to maximise numbers of pax or cargo) the MH-60G will work fine. The AH-60L is a great option if you can source some windows from the other kit or build without the pilots doors (done for some over water or counter terrorism missions). I’m not sure what is included in the MH-60S boxing that might be usable too as I think academy added a few small parts but essentially want you to paint a Blackhawk kit grey and pass that as a navalised version.

I personally have the G model kit for the same project one day and scored some left over pax seats so you can ask around and try that if you want seats. Live resin also do sets appropriate to replace the M-60 door guns with the MAG-58 door guns(M240 in their vernacular) both the older articulated arm or the newer rectangular style.

I hope that helps

Cheers
Cairnsy
(Chris)
Cairnsy
Beginner

Postby Russell Brown » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:57 pm

To the kind gents who replied, thank you very much indeed. I'm a bit late with this, because of various domestic interruptions, but I do appreciate your help.
Russell
Russell Brown