F-35 Overall Paint Scheme Changing Soon

Member's Area Member's Forum
Discussion of all things modelling.

Re: F-35 Overall Paint Scheme Changing Soon

Postby SpazSinbad » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:20 am

Our RAAFie Chappies will have an F-35A 'paint' facility at Willytown:
"Low Observability Refresh Facility. The proposed facility will facilitate the testing and painting of the surface finish of the aircraft." http://www.defence.gov.au/id/Air6000/Wi ... nWorks.asp
SpazSinbad
Devotee

Postby Dick » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:27 pm

TAIL STRIPE: Not allowed for F-35 aircraft.

Holy smokes - never realised the USAF F-35A are missing tail stripes... why would they desist from tail stripes surely they can do low viz or stealth variations unless there is some sensitive part of the coating on top of the tail??? What a pity...as it is long standing USAF tradition to have tail stripes!

The following article may be what I read and I really do hope the article is inaccurate as no squadron markings is so uninspiring for morale and modelling it is not funny! Interesting that it says the roundel is built in and not painted...but the marines changing markings in theatre suggests there is no issue in changing markings on the fuselage or tails so why would the Brits not apply tail or squadron markings????

RAF Dambusters squadron loses its red, white and blue logo to stay stealthy in new £150m fighter jets

The RAF's new 617 squadron's F-35B Lightning II planes will have a new roundel, called a 'grey doughnut' on the side of each aircraft, in a move to appear less obvious in the sky.

'The Dambusters were formed nearly 75 years ago for a very special purpose, to bring cutting-edge technology into service for a very special mission,' said Wing Commander John Butcher, commanding the new team.
'And for me I can see a lot of parallels with what we are being asked to do now.'
The roundel won't be painted, but built in.

'The name of the game is stealth, so these aircraft will carry no squadron markings at all – just the grey roundel which will identify it as British,' said an RAF source last night.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z59meAb9bK
Lest We Forget
Dick
Devotee

Postby SpazSinbad » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:05 pm

It seems 'only the Brits' will have no squadron markings - so best go to a Brit Forum to ask why there (the answer is in the article anyway but you need to know 'why' - "stealth" is not good enough eh). And yes ALL US F-35s appear to have maintainer names on nosewheel door with pilot name under canopy left side (probably exceptions) with some with/without markings of different kinds on the tail. Why is the world not flat? A credible F-35 maintainer has said: "I can confirm that unit markings are applied at the factory (paint). Names are applied by the unit (stencils)".
SpazSinbad
Devotee

Postby Dick » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:37 pm

First time I have seen some markings applied to the "Bin Lid" with this Avengers F-35B sporting the "stars & stripes" in colour on the USS Essex
F- 35 B.jpg
F- 35 B.jpg (174.43 KiB) Viewed 1397 times

and another image with the "Avengers Star"

I have nick named the F-35B the "Flying Wheelie Bin" for its prominent Lift fan lid :lol: besides a whole lot of people (not me of course) think it is packed with garbage (lift fan is dead weight and a waste of space etc...)

a third jet has a lion on the bin lid (with six jets aboard the Essex they all probably have different markings and were marked during the cruise)
lion.jpg
lion.jpg (224.78 KiB) Viewed 1334 times
Last edited by Dick on Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lest We Forget
Dick
Devotee

Postby RayS » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:46 am

A35-007 in newer scheme

and A35-009
Ray
Bench stuff:
...lots
RayS
Devotee

Postby saxon » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:28 pm

I always had planned on doing mine in some kind of What If scheme anyway. I get bored with grey all the time.
saxon
Beginner

Postby rodenlee » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:42 am

The Kinetic (?) 1/48 F35s I have show a lot of raised lines around panels which in previous schemes are a different colour. The photos on this post show the skin to be smooth.

It looks to me like the raised lines will need to be sanded off which is a fair task as there's a lot of them.

Have I missed something?

Cheers
Shaun
rodenlee
Devotee

Postby Doc59 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:19 am

By this photo, looks like they have just been painted the aircraft colour:

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Austral ... /4832185/L

Makes it easier for me as I have a 1/72 F35 waiting to be made and I was dreading masking it up.
Doc59
Beginner

Postby enfield38 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:21 pm

Have Glass is a single monotone paint scheme with the coating mixed into the paint with its own Federal Standard paint code FS36170.

Scale Modellers Supply do an acrylic lacquer "PL69 - HAVE GLASS GREY 30ml". Mr Paint also do acrylic lacquer "MRP-278 HAVE GLASS Special Matt Varnish 30ml" as well as "MRP-280 Camouflage Grey (FS 36170) for Lockheed Martin F-16, F-35 30ml". All are available from BNA.
Cheers,
Rod C
enfield38
Devotee

Postby rodenlee » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:34 pm

Thanks gents
Much appreciated.

Cheers
Shaun
rodenlee
Devotee