Model Expo 2019

Member's Area Member's Forum
Discussion of all things modelling.

Re: Model Expo 2019

Postby Michael Louey » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:31 pm

pacificmustang wrote:All it causes me to do is miss categories. I never got to see 72 aircraft or helicopters this year. I really wish they would just put categories together like every other show
Bruce

Hi Bruce -

I'm gradually loading pictures of all the 72nd scale aircraft from Expo -
Check these threads -

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/72nd_ai ... 10823.html

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/72nd_ai ... 10821.html

There's a number of other threads for each category - I still have 1 to load up - you should be able to find the other categories on the site pretty easily under the "models at shows" heading.

Cheers

Michael
Michael Louey
Devotee

Postby pacificmustang » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:58 pm

Excellent photos. Thank you Michael
Cheers
Bruce
On the Bench
Tanmodel 1/48 RF-84F Thunderflash

DISCLAIMER : My signature may, or may not bear any relationship whatsoever to what is actually on my bench

https://www.facebook.com/BrucesScaleModels
http://www.brucesscalemodels.com
pacificmustang
Devotee

Postby _BlackHawk_ » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:31 pm

I was working for the AHSA most of the weekend, business was good, but the Saturday was down from last year. Sunday was up though. Swap and sell room was nice, but jesus christ turn the heaters off. I did two laps and couldn't be bothered fighting with the crowd anymore plus I was at the time, coming down with a nasty dose of flu which put me in bed for 3 days this week and I'm still not 100%.

Gotta agree with Bruce too on the table and category lay out. While I don't mind looking at stuff I don't model, it's frustrating looking for the categories that I do have an interest in, especially when I've not got that much free time during the weekend. Also grouping would speed up set up and pack up, no longer would people need to be walking from one end of the building to the other setting up each of their models, they could congregate around one island and slap all their kits on the tables. Much faster to pack things up as well. If you're a modeller of lots of stuff like I am, you could have all three major scales, plus allied aircraft, a German one, maybe a jet too, you can end up with models on almost all the islands.

I get why they mix up the categories, but it's not a supermarket, you don't make more money by forcing people to walk around each island looking for what they really want.
Blackhawk's quote of the week:
"No Fear, No Hesitation, No Surprise, No Doubt. -Musashi"
_BlackHawk_
Devotee

Postby pacificmustang » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:06 pm

yep, well put Brad.
On the Bench
Tanmodel 1/48 RF-84F Thunderflash

DISCLAIMER : My signature may, or may not bear any relationship whatsoever to what is actually on my bench

https://www.facebook.com/BrucesScaleModels
http://www.brucesscalemodels.com
pacificmustang
Devotee

Postby Viking » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:28 pm

What Wayne said.

I had a quick wander through on Sunday (very limited for time, sadly) and there were some excellent models on display. It was (for me) very cool to see models on display that have been "advertised" here and to say "Hey, I remember that one...".

Well done to everyone who entered or had something on display.

I didn't get a chance to enter anything, or add to my club's display - maybe next year.
Viking
Devotee

Postby bertielissie » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:53 am

Just a few observations:
1.The Model Expo FB site was kept up to date and plenty of photos posted.

2.The lighting at the Expo is appalling. Very hard to see all the beautiful detail modellers have put into their exhibits. The only way to truly see the paint and detail work was via digital images.

3.Getting to see your favourite model interests was very confusing due to the maze-like set-up. On getting home and seeing posted images from others I realised how much I missed.

4.I felt there was an increase in sci-fi/fantasy/Gundam exhibits and although these are not my modelling subjects of choice the work displayed was amazing . Maybe this theme is leading to a new generation of modellers keeping the model building world "alive".

5. I'd like to see the catergory winning models photographed instead of just the name of the winning model.

6. If you don't have a car then you're "stuffed" getting to the Expo. Public trnsport is not the best

7. The cost of what was called "coffee" was laughable. (Not the Expo organisers fault).Best to BYO.
Osibisa "criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness"
bertielissie
Devotee

Postby Peter Roberts » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:02 am

I would like to add my voice to the irritation around the 'maze' set up.

This provides great variety for any members of the general public who may wander in, but I suspect that the vast majority of attendees are modellers.

I would think it makes better sense to group subjects. Aircraft, AFV's, cars, figures, ships, etc. As per earlier posts, I suspect this would also speed entry and collection of many models.

My 5 cents worth,

PR
Peter Roberts
Devotee

Postby _BlackHawk_ » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:36 pm

Sandown Park Railway station is only a few hundred meters away. The lighting has always been a problem at the venue, but the cost to change the lights over for the weekend then back again is a small fortune and not an option at that price.
Blackhawk's quote of the week:
"No Fear, No Hesitation, No Surprise, No Doubt. -Musashi"
_BlackHawk_
Devotee

Postby TonyP » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:48 pm

I wanted to go outside and see the cars racing on the track. The fun police said no!
Join us at Modelling the RAAF, RAN and AAAvn
https://www.facebook.com/groups/836070456430404/
TonyP
Devotee

Postby RayS » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:39 am

_BlackHawk_ wrote:Sandown Park Railway station is only a few hundred meters away. The lighting has always been a problem at the venue, but the cost to change the lights over for the weekend then back again is a small fortune and not an option at that price.

The station may be a few hundred metres away but the main access gate from that direction is closed (unless there is a pedestrian gate?). The only other entrance I know of is off the Princess Highway which is a hike for the station.
Ray
Bench stuff:
...lots
RayS
Devotee

PreviousNext