Any problems with TC-30(dual piston compressor with tank)?

Member's Area Member's Forum
Discussion of all things modelling.

Any problems with TC-30(dual piston compressor with tank)?

Postby Tony Rigby » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:37 pm

Hi all,

Has anyone had experience problem-solving or repairing with the TC-30T dual piston air compressor (with tank)?

After 12 years of great service after purchasing from Runway 13, last night my TC-30T compressor stopped working. No prior indication, no weird noises. Sprayed - I took a phone call- did not spray. Silence. I had to clean the airbrush the hard way!

I have dropped it off at my local electrician to get that side checked out, but as it has never played up before, I have zero knowledge or experience at repairing it (unlike its predecessor - a single diaphragm Brown compressor which a set of screwdrivers and aircraft grade Loctite kept working for nearly 30 years).

As the replacement TC-90T is close to $300, I'd like to repair rather than replace.

TIA.

Tony
Tony Rigby
Devotee

Re: Any problems with TC-30(dual piston compressor with tank

Postby Tony Rigby » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:46 pm

Well, I'm waiting for the electrician to have a look at the compressor on Monday morning, but in the meantime I have spoken with Peter Shum from Runway 13, from whom I bought the TC-30T, 12 years ago when it cost me $355.

They have not sold that compressor in 8 years, and the spare parts are all gone.
The new version is the TC-90T which sells for $295 plus freight.

Peter offers a trade-in service (when the compressor is beyond economic repair), where the price of the replacement is discounted.

So for $229.50, I can have a new TC-90T compressor delivered Canberra- Brisbane.
And re the 'trade-in', Peter says that I can hang onto the old compressor in case I can use any mechanical parts for spares (but don't use it if it's an electrical issue).

Great service from Runway 13!

Tony
Tony Rigby
Devotee

Re: Any problems with TC-30(dual piston compressor with tank

Postby Tony Rigby » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:04 am

The electrician came back to me today. It is a problem with the air pressure shut-off switch.
Being an electrician, he suggested I 'give it a hit but not too hard'. So it's a mechanical rather than electrical issue.
I picked it up from the electrician and gave it a 'love-tap'.
Good to go! Woo-Hoo. Quality production!

That'll do till the new compressor (TC-90T) arrives from Runway 13.

Now, where did the Metalcote (vintage 1986) go?

Tony
Tony Rigby
Devotee