Why do model producers offer obscure kits but no Beaufort?

Member's Area Member's Forum
Discussion of all things modelling.

Why do model producers offer obscure kits but no Beaufort?

Postby murray » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:02 am

Hello

I keep seeing the ‘latest releases’ for limited run kits which seem to be really obscure and in my view very limited appeal. Yet it would seem a 1/48 Beaufort would have a greater appeal than some of them. Can anyone shed some light on this?
murray
Beginner

Re: Why do model producers offer obscure kits but no Beaufor

Postby jindivik33 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:51 am

A very good question, The only 1/48 kit that I'm aware of was a vacform that was produced many years ago; the kit had/has many issues.
I was told some time ago that a European manufacturer had been supplied with copious amounts of data on the Beaufort to assist in the production of a 1/48 kit including the DAP Beaufort. To date, nothing has been forthcoming …

We live in hope.

Roger
jindivik33
Devotee

Postby Peter Roberts » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:19 pm

Thought this one was on the Airfix radar, or was I dreaming?

PR
Peter Roberts
Devotee

Postby erussell » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:27 pm

Having canvassed, from a point of view of knowing a bit about it, several likely manufacturers, the consensus is a combination of
1. Wouldn't sell in commercial quantities (see 2, 3 and 4 below)
2. Too difficult - multiple variants
3. Likely to be nit-picked to death by anoraks who abound on model sites
4. The competition might do one
The most likely manufacturer to produce one is actually working on it, albeit at a desultory pace. I suspect admonitions for them to hurry up or cries of "I'll buy one" have a negative rather than a positive effect.

I have seen two done from the 1.32 and 1/48 vacforms and they were excellent. A donor Beaufighter is essential. I haven't seen this one in the flesh but it looks good too
https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/ind ... ufort-mki/
https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/ind ... -beaufort/

Alternatively, if you don't like 1/72, do a 1/144 one,
http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php? ... 312&page=1
erussell
Devotee

Postby skypilot » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:34 am

I’m prepared to make the great sacrifice to the modelling god.
If someone can point me in the direction of the vacuum form kit I will sacrifice one of my Tamiya Beaufighter kits.
Therefore once I get near the end somebody will release the kit in injected form.
Somebody has to take a hit for the team.

On second thoughts after see some of the built kits even I’m not that much of masochist.
Tremendous effort by those that tried.
Roger, how inaccurate is the fuselage on the Sanger kit. It looks really weird in the photos of the built vac form kit. Too me the fit of the glazing is atrocious. You know I like a challenge but from what I seen even using the Beaufighter kit it isn’t worth the trouble.

Regards
Peter J
skypilot
Devotee

Postby jindivik33 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:19 am

G'day PJ

I'd have to dig out my 1/48 vacform Beaufort (I can't recall if it is a Sanger or Contrail kit - one and the same?) but from memory the fuselage cross section incorporating the bomb bay lacks the prominent bulges for the bomb bay doors and the nose glazing is simply not right. Some modellers, in the UK and here at home, have done a credible build of the vacform but despite their skills, the finished product just doesn't look right.

When I say 'dig out', I literally mean just that as the kit is tucked away in a box somewhere in the model room or the spare room.

I reckon if a poll was conducted on the major modelling sites as to who would be interested in a 1/48 Beaufort, manufacturers would be surprised at the results, especially in the UK and Oz. Yes, the different power plants and dorsal turrets would need to be catered for as well as the broad tail DAP Mk VIII but I don't see these as being major hurdles.

Cheers

Roger
jindivik33
Devotee

Postby skypilot » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:03 am

Thanks Roger
skypilot
Devotee

Postby jvenables » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:35 pm

Not obscure enough.