Kinetic F-18B RAAF Hornet

Member's Area Member's Forum
Discussion of all things modelling.

Kinetic F-18B RAAF Hornet

Postby Bandit » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:03 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm about to start the 1/48 Kinetic Hornet so the question is, what do I need to do to make an accurate version of the RAAF F-18B?

I want to display it in flight so any suggestions on an accurate pilot to use?

I'm also in need of opened exhaust nozzles. Is the C variant the same as B?

Thanks,
Adam
Bandit
Devotee

Re: Kinetic F-18B RAAF Hornet

Postby dccnewbie » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:05 am

Hi Adam,

Without getting too technical the tubs (duals) and the singles are pretty much the same apart from the dual having less internal fuel capacity to make room for the second cockpit.
Engines, afterburners and all the fun bits that turn cold air into heat and noise I believe are all interchangeable.

Dale.
dccnewbie
Beginner

Postby DesTROYer » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:50 am

You will need to make some changes to the tail fins, but that's easy enough.

Fill in some access doors and rescribe others.

and if its like the 1/32 version which I have built, the rear instrument combing may need to be scratchbuilt.

Though i have 3 1/48 Kinetic Hornets in the stash, I am yet to open them up and take a look, but they were the changes I had to make on my 1/32 Kinetic Hornet, which is a re-box of the Academy.
DesTROYer
Devotee

Postby thevespabandit » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:24 pm

Depending on the era, will depend on the pilot/helmet combo.

HGU-22s, HGU-33s (albeit only on delivery I think), HGU-55s and JHMCs have all been used; oxygen masks range from P/Q type oxy masks and more recently MBU-20s.

C exhausts are the right one's to use.
thevespabandit
Devotee

Postby MichaelDrover » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:40 pm

Hi Adam,

The Kinetic Hornet is a nice choice to make a RAAF dual seater Hornet. I'm in the throws of buidling one at the moment.

Obviously the two seater version of the Kinetic Hornet is what you need. 90% of what is needed is in the box, so things you'll need to take note of though are...

1. The knife blade fin stiffeners are supplied in the kit as etch pieces. They are only present on the left side of each fin.
    2. The three tail strengtheners found on the inside base of the fins are also present on the sprues though not mentioned in the instructions. These need to be added
    3. The nose launch bar isn't actually a lauch bar on the RAAF jets. It's basically a square in profile replacement for the launch bar. We had them for a little while without them but I think shimmy problems necessitated the bar to be present to prevent it. Sand the end knuckle off it and you'll be close.
    4. Due to the change of launch bar the nose wheel lights arrangement is a bit different to teh US jets and I don't think the green/amber/red landing lights are present. Just realised you're doing an in-flight so you won't need to worry about any of that nonsense.
    5. You'll need to install engine bay strenthening doublers below the rear slime lights as Troy has pointed out
    6. The seats of the Australian Hornets have a different harness arrangement that makes them SJU9/10 rather than SJU-5/6. Squint and you'll see the diffrence.
    7. Seated resin pilot figures with the JHMCS helmet can be sourced from PJ Productions (F-16 pilot but perfectly fine for this application). I've got a few and they are very nice. You might want to add the JHMCS sensor on the left side of the cockpit. There's plenty of photos of this piece online. As mentioned this may or may not be present depending on the era of the jet that you're building
    8. Don't forget the chaff/flare buckets just forward of the main gear doors.
    9. And this one is a tip for assembling the intakes. Join the top and bottom halves of the intakes first. Secondly add the intake lips to those pieces before you install them inside the fuselage. You'll be able to clean up the seam around the inside of the lip easier than if it was installed in the fuse. All you need is the first inch or two cleaned up as it quickly vanishes into a black hole. Once you've built up the intakes you can then quite easily slip them into position through the forward opening. Clean up of the seam where the lip joins the fuselage is then quite easy. If you get the alignment right this can be an (almost) hassle free part of the assembly.
    10. The rear panel coaming is present and is fine for a RAAF jet. The cockpit is also really nice too. I've done a comparison between the kit plastic and the Reid Air Publication Hornet book and the representation in the kit is very good.
    11. Not quite sure if the exhausts are the C variant that Vespa mentions above.

I think that's it...???

I'm building A21-103 circa 2006.

Which one are you doing?

Cheers,
Michael
MichaelDrover
Devotee

Postby Bandit » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:07 pm

Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated.

Michael, I was going to do A21-118 as flown currently. As an experiment I'm going to pose it in flight in a steep climb and add a little dynamics to it by positioning the flight controls accordingly, with ecto over the wings and wing tips. Even considering LED lights for afterburners. Might even add the flex in the wing.

Hoping to replicate this pic
Attachments
13346767_10154217460123334_7641026703905833393_n.jpg
13346767_10154217460123334_7641026703905833393_n.jpg (46.58 KiB) Viewed 125 times
Bandit
Devotee