Beaufighter MKIc A19-54 Colours

Member's Area Member's Forum
Discussion of all things modelling.

Beaufighter MKIc A19-54 Colours

Postby noelbarnes » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:17 pm

I am building A19-54 and have the 1/72 DK decals sheet. DK show the airframe to be dark earth and dark green. Does anyone know if that is correct? I have seen their 1/48 decals and they indicate that A19-54 was extra dark sea grey and slate grey? Can anyone clear up the confusion?

Thanks.
noelbarnes
Devotee

Re: Beaufighter MKIc A19-54 Colours

Postby qfa_tsv » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:34 pm

Graeme
qfa_tsv
Devotee

Postby harvs73 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:02 pm

I built the aircraft in 1/48 using the DK Decals and went for the TSS scheme. The link below is the build for it and covers my reasoning.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13720
David Harvey
Editor
Aussie Modeller International

Email: aussiemodeller@hotmail.com

http://www.aussiemodeller.com.au
harvs73
Devotee

Postby noelbarnes » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:57 am

HI Graeme and David.
Thanks for your suggestions. I saw your build in the image gallery David and clicked on the link to find the forum that Graeme mentioned. I really wanted to build mine like you did yours, but looking at my 1/72 DK decals I decided that something seemed odd. I viewed the images you posted of the real aircraft and the images on ADF Serials. It would appear that A19-54 wore different codes in it's lifetime? Although the dates on the ADF Serials images appear to be the same even though the codes are different. After reading the suggested forum I decided that I would go with the LY-V codes and went with the idea of it being in the first batch of 54 being delivered to Australia in the TLS scheme. It seems likely to me that the air-frame underwent a re-paint; either codes only or full air-frame in the TSS scheme at some stage. I also re-painted the girls dress "light blue" which was mentioned in the Britmodeller forum as matching the "Man" magazine image reference more closely. I recognise that my interpretation is only that "an interpretation". I have really enjoyed doing some research into this topic and am pleased to have created a Beau that shares the history of your build David, albeit in 1/72. Thanks again for your help guys.
noelbarnes
Devotee

Postby Sydhuey » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:55 pm

G'day Noel,
A19-54 had the LY Code applied in Oct 1943, I have photo's of A19-54 with the single "V" before the roundel from Oct 43 and pictures taken for the "Great Race" beginning of Nov 1943 with the LY Sqn identifier added, the area fwd of the roundel down into the Sky was repainted when the LY was applied , so there is a patch of new paint going from the sky to half way up the L.
Sydhuey
Beginner

Postby noelbarnes » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:56 pm

Sydhuey wrote:G'day Noel,
A19-54 had the LY Code applied in Oct 1943, I have photo's of A19-54 with the single "V" before the roundel from Oct 43 and pictures taken for the "Great Race" beginning of Nov 1943 with the LY Sqn identifier added, the area fwd of the roundel down into the Sky was repainted when the LY was applied , so there is a patch of new paint going from the sky to half way up the L.

Hi Sydhuey. Thanks for your info. Greatly appreciated. If only the codes were repainted, then maybe the airframe was the TSS scheme as David has modelled. Then again, maybe not? I guess it all gets down to how all the information is interpreted? I am no expert, but really enjoy researching all the details as best I can. People like yourself really help along the way. Again, many thanks.
noelbarnes
Devotee

Postby Peter Malone » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:20 pm

Noel,

In my opinion, the evidence points to A19-54 having been painted in the TLS upper surface colours in the UK.

Although A19-54, (T5074), was a Beaufighter Mk.Ic, and other aircraft, in this batch, delivered to the UK, (from Fairey), were finished in the RAF TSS, I believe that the first RAAF Beaufighters were finished to RAAF specs, as were the first Spitfire VC aircraft for the RAAF. This appears to have been "equivalents" of the RAAF's Foliage Green and Earth Brown, i.e. RAF Dark Green and Dark Earth. Whether the undersides were finished in RAF Sky or Sky Blue is a moot point. I prefer the latter, but have no proof of this.

On some photos of early Beaufighter Is you can still see the stenciling applied in the UK, showing that they retained their UK applied camouflage when they entered service here. A19-54 had a couple of accidents prior to the emblem being applied on the fuselage side and would certainly have had some repainting done following those incidents and, as Syd points out, when the squadron ID letters were applied. What colors were used, I have no idea, but there is evidence to suggest that the Wing held Australian equivalents of Dark Earth and Dark Green.

Good luck with the model,
Peter M
Peter Malone
Devotee