paint booths, paint booths and more paint booths!

Member's Area Member's Forum
Discussion of all things modelling.

Re: paint booths, paint booths and more paint booths!

Postby brad » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:42 pm

Yes, you would need A LOT of solvent and a spark for that to happen. If it really does worry you, then you could get a centrifugal fan instead but they're a lot more expensive.

Also, make sure you're expelling the exhaust outside and not back into the room you're in. It will take the stink away, it's healthier and it removes the solvent from the room so you're not building up the fire risk.

cheers,

bj
I also collect Australian war medals. Get in touch if you would like to know something about a group you might have or if you have some you would like to dispose of.
brad
Devotee

Postby fjs » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:52 pm

Hi all, thanks for all your thoughts and input. I have decided to make my own booth, probably basing it off the link from Viking but using timber instead of the plastic container. once finished I will try to poste a pick of it on the forum somewhere with a brief description of how I did it, for others to perhaps reference.

fjs out.
On the bench:
Airfix 1/72 p 51d Mustang

motivation/advice for modelers:
"Better is the end of a thing than its beginning, and the patient in spirit is better than the proud in spirit."
fjs
Beginner

Postby Daz_C » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:37 pm

I have one of the smaller off the shelf items and I just painted a 1/48 Tamiya Tomcat in it, no worries at all. It works great, suction is good and comes with a long suction hose to vent it out a window, Filter material is cheap to replace too.
cheers,
Daz

"I can only please 1 person a day.Unfortunately today is not your day!!!"
Daz_C
Devotee

Postby fjs » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:44 pm

Thanks Daz!
On the bench:

"Better is the end of a thing than its beginning, and the patient in spirit is better than the proud in spirit."
fjs
Beginner

Postby Zaggy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:35 pm

I have a .... cardboard box, from a Microwave! Into which I have cut a circle at the back (where a 12v PC case fan sits, extracting to a window), a circle on the top (where a halogen lamp shines through, and across the front I have a big piece of high density foam, held in place by an offcut of 20x7mm steel bar, which leans against it.... for when stuff is in there curing.

It's been going for a good 5 years now.

As for how much it cost me, christ knows! It was built with was was laying around... The HD Foam is probably the single most expensive bit (unless you want to argue the $400 Microwave, in order to get the good, double thickness cardboard box); the PC Case fan was one just laying around; the Halogen lamp was picked up when someone was going to chuck it and used to sit on my reloading bench, until I replaced it with a large spot lamp and a LED Magnifier (for doing case inspections); the 200mm long piece of 7x20mm flat bar was an offcut from some welding project.

Oh, I also used some packaging tape (that is BRIGHT Orange and says 'FRAGILE') to tape 3 of the 4 'lid flaps' back flush with the outside...

Cost: No idea, but essentially free! Its REALLY Lo-Fi, but it's a tool and it accomplishes the job it was built for.... which honestly surprised me at how well its done for what it is - I usually over engineer shit up the wazoo! Like the Vacuum-formers; or the printing screens; or the rifle parts; or the Imperial Guard Helmet; or Cases; or Speakers/Amps; or my various Jigs and Formers that have all taken longer to build than the thing they were jigging or forming!)...

D
Zaggy
Devotee

Postby fjs » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:27 am

Thanks D, that sounds like an easy build, and for me, being a fellow over engineering person, that might be what I need.
thanks again!
On the bench:

fjs
Beginner

Postby Viking » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:46 am

I finished building my spray booth a couple of weeks ago.

A 50-odd litre storage "crate" from Bunnings
3m of "soft white" self-adhesive LED lights
3m of 100mm squizzel-dick flexible aluminium ducting
1 piece of air-conditioner intake filter matting
120mm computer case fan from local computer store
a 120mm -> 100mm adaptor thing, courtesy of Thingiverse and a friend's 3D printer

A few hours of my time and it's done. I think the fan could do with being a bit stronger to move more air, but it works OK.
Viking
Beginner

Postby 63BP » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:12 am

According to some Yank painting forums, the danger lies in solvent fumes and sparks from the fan motor leading to a fire / explosion. Although part of me wonders just WTF (and how much) they were spraying to cause that...[/quote]

That's the question I'd love to know the answer to also....
It makes sense. But is it a serious concern for the hobbiest.
I doubt the cheap ebay boths have shielded motors. $$$

I would like to have a go at this myself so will watch with interest. Thanks for asking the question.
63BP
Beginner

Previous