"Tribute to the Ausy DC-9" AMI Group Build

Member's Area Group Builds
For all modelling group builds

Re: "Tribute to the Ausy DC-9" AMI Group Build

Postby pacificmustang » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:48 am

Anyone have an out of tin match, or even mix, for the Ansett red?
Bruce
On the Bench
Cyber-Wings 1/32 Me109-E3

DISCLAIMER : My signature may, or may not bear any relationship whatsoever to what is actually on my bench

https://www.facebook.com/BrucesScaleModels
http://www.brucesscalemodels.com
pacificmustang
Devotee

Postby TOR » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:53 am

Hi Bruce,
I will go into "research mode", now and see what I can come up with for you. I am assuming you mean the 70s-era "delta" red.
Regards
Ray
TOR
Devotee

Postby pacificmustang » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:53 pm

Thats the one, thanks Ray

bruce
On the Bench

DISCLAIMER : My signature may, or may not bear any relationship whatsoever to what is actually on my bench

pacificmustang
Devotee

Postby RayS » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:36 pm

Just be aware it was more an organge colour and the other colour was a dark brown.

From the 'old' AMI forum, an answer by Fred Harris on the same question dated 28 Jun 2008

This topic was dealt with fairly comprehensively on November 6(+), 2006. (in the vicinity of AMI page 112).
IPMS A'asia did an article on the Ansett Boeing 727 with the stylised "A" in Newsletter No 21, Sept.1969. The service entry date of the colour scheme is dated 28 June, 1969. Not sure if this is the scheme you are interested in but, the article included colour chips provided by the Ansett paint shop. FS12197 is an excellent match for the orange and FS10032 for the brown. As a bonus, the colours for the newly introduced livery of the contemporary TAA aircraft were; Australian Ochre, FS10257 and FS15050 for the Starlight Blue.
Last edited by RayS on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ray
Bench stuff:
...lots
RayS
Devotee

Postby TOR » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:11 pm

Hi again Bruce,
Well...can't add anymore value-added info than what Ray has already contributed above...he has pretty well nailed it.
TOR
TOR
Devotee

Postby davec » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:02 am

Thanks, Scott. I have the Hawkeye early TAA scheme, which I will do for this GB (if I can ever find where I have put the Airfix DC-9s in the stash) and an Ansett-ANA one to match it would be nice.

Dave
And so it was that later, as the miller told his tale,
That her face, at first just ghostly, turned a whiter shade of pale.
davec
Devotee

Postby Mr Tbone » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:20 pm

I really need to get my finger out and start.
Mr Tbone
Beginner

Postby qfa_tsv » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:39 am

OK, firstly let me say I apologise for the poor quality of the photos
and the way Photobucket has been performing today, it should be renamed Bucket of........

One thing I am a little dissapointed in, is that we don't have a relly cool group build banner, "Aussie DC9 Group Build Sep Dec 12" :o
There must be someone out there who is way more computer literate than me to create such a thing
Scott are you there?.....I think the side profie of the Air Vanuatu DC9 with the group build logo would look really good, nudge nudge ;) ;)

OK the box shots first

There are several things on the Fly kit that for me are a bit of a put off
Firstly the Aircon dct on the leading edge of the fin is is too small in diameter, and has a weird notch in it, that isn't present on the real thing.
I cut out the notch and put in a bit of tubing and faired it in.
Secondly the engine pylons put the engines way to close to fuselage.
I added a piece of sprue from the kit and and glued it to the outer part of the pylon, then scraped and sanded it down to match the rst of the pylon, no measurement were made, I just do it by eye, the outer part of the sprue will need scraping and sanding as well to get a flat surface to accept the engine, I marked the holes for the engine that are present on the pylon with a pencil and redrilled them later.

Why I think the engines are too close are based on these photos

Also here is one I prepared earlier
Graeme
qfa_tsv
Devotee

Postby TOR » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:35 am

Good start there Graeme.
The issues your raise with the Fly kit have, on occasion, been mentioned before by others on other sites. Persoanlly though, I think that in 1:144th, it's not really a big deal. If the engine pylon thing does bother the builder though, it can be simply fixed as per your suggested method or alternatively, by getting yourself a set of aftermarket Contrails 1:144th Pratt and Whitney JT8D engines. The Contails engines are nicely cast with pylons so the problem is fixed by default.
Nice TAA jet BTW!!!
Finally, I am not big on "flashy" banners for group builds, as they tend to detract from the builds themselves, but that is just me. If others want it then so be it.
TOR
TOR
Devotee

Postby pacificmustang » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:08 pm

many Thanks for the colour info Ray.
Watching your build with interest Graeme

Bruce
On the Bench

pacificmustang
Devotee

PreviousNext